Friday, March 23, 2012

Painting Tech Part Two

Part 2: Choosing the right paints.


Choosing the right paints for our hobby can be tricky, I found that it depends on 2 major things, Skill Level and Color Choices. The first one is way more important than the second mostly because you may end up using a multitude of paints from a few ranges as you increase in skill level.  For paints I use the foundation, washes and one metallic from GW.  I use p3 for my mid colors, highlights, inks and 3 metallics. Over time and practice I’ve advanced to even mixing my own unique shades with industrial acrylics and flow improver. I didn’t come into my abilities overnight and neither will you, I had the privilege of learning from the best painters at my old brick and mortar and continued to paint, paint, paint. (Thank you Abe) OK let’s talk paints and which is the best for a beginner.

If you are a beginning painter, like so new you just bought the box set, I’d suggest the Army Painter line of primers, paints and quick shades. This range of paint has been set up for the beginner in mind, they require no real thinning and come in dropper bottles. The paints are used in a conjunction with their brand of primers. First you choose the right color of primer for a base coat after that it’s a quick coverage of base colors then you let it dry and then choose the appropriate quick shade then you dip the model one good shake later you let it dry and bam you’re done.

For moderate painters I’d go with the GW line of paints, these require some thinning and give you the range of colors needed to do some highlighting practice. When using these paints its best to remember not to paint from the pot as they will dry out fairly easy, and painting from the pot just causes a mess. The GW line of paints will require a little thinning to get the 2 to 3 coats of paint you should be aiming for. When you do advance to these paints I'd also begin to use a retarder this will prevent your paints from drying out on the wet pallet.

Advanced painters I’d suggest the P3 line for your basic colors due to the fact that P3 paints use a liquid pigment, this gives you a color that won’t become faint when thinned out, and the Vallejo line. Vallejo will give you an amazing line of shades and highlight colors. They have 3 different lines of paints: Vallejo Model Color, Game Color, and Model Air Color (for air brushes). These 3 lines have over 300 colors, some are repeated but you get the picture. I haven’t used to many of the Vallejo paints but I do like the fact that they come in dropper bottles. As a pro painter I feel that I get a better job from the P3 and GW combo, but that's just my personal preference, you may decide you like a GW/Vallejo combo or another brand.

There it is part 2 of our ongoing series Painting Tech stay tuned for our next part properly cleaning your models and choosing the proper tools to do so. See you on the field T4nkSmasher....