Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Smack Talk: When is it too much?

Good morning all! 
This morning I have spent some time this morning making fun of some my friends armies, comparing their Space Wolves and Blood Angels to Twilight.  I know it was an obvious knock and in no way was original, but I sure had fun messing with them for a bit.

This made me think about smack talk during games, and at what point does it get to be too much.  Personally I think some friendly smack talk can do a bit to further enrich the "fun" level of a game.  I think that with a small, close knit group of gamers like we have it is not much of an issue as everyone understands it is lighthearted and no ill will is intended. 

Now, if I was at the FLGS I would not casually be throwing around your mama jokes and such.  Also, I think to make sure that everyone is having fun you pay attention to how the other player is doing.  If they look like they are getting frustrated, there is no need to push them over the edge and ruin their game experience. 

Tournament/competition play is another place where I would refrain from smack talk.  People put a lot of work into their armies, and their strategies, and may have traveled a long way to appear and have a good time.  In this setting I think that smack talk could be misinterpreted as poor sportsmanship very easily.

So, what experiences have you had that you can share?  Any fantastic slams that you would like to share with the world?  And how do you feel about smack talk and it's use in games in general?  As always, please share your thoughts in the comments section below.